Thursday, February 27, 2014

Kentucky Intercollegiate Band 2014

Every year around December the MSU Wind Ensemble is informed of the Kentucky Intercollegiate Band, and how we should sign up because it would be a good experience.  Every year I would just pass the sign-up sheet to the person next to me because my thought process was, "I don't have the time...I can't miss any classes to do this."  I was so wrong!  This year I finally put my name on the sheet and was blessed to have been selected to go.

The drive to E-town was one of the worst driving experiences I've ever had.  Earlier that morning it had started to rain, but within a few hours the rain had turned to sleet and a wintry mix.  A drive that normally takes three hours turned into about five.  I couldn't drive faster than 45-50 mph the entire way, and actually had to stop once to calm my nerves.  Luckily I arrived safe and sound at my parents place!

The next few days were spent practicing in preparation of a concert that was to be given in the spectacular Whitney Hall at the Kentucky Center for the Arts.  The guest conductor was fantastic and the ensemble did amazing.  I don't think I've ever been in an ensemble setting that performed as well as that specific ensemble did.  We performed a wide array of pieces from Olypmic Fanfare and Theme by John Williams as the opener, and To Tame the Perilous Skies by David Holsinger as the finale.

I won't go into too much detail, but the overall experience was well worth the horrible drive, early mornings and late nights.  The performance was one I'll remember for years to come!  I wish I'd have given KIB a chance in the past, but I'm glad I had the chance to experience it at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment