Monday, January 26, 2015

Working as a Program Assistant

In my last post I mentioned how I was blessed to get a job that started right out of college.  Well this post is going to go into a little more detail about it!

It was around early November that I began to look at the school district website for job postings, anything that could get my foot in the door with the school system and gain more experience.  After a week or so of checking the district's website I saw a posting for a Program Assistant I position at the local Early Learning Center.  Even though I didn't have any experience with preschool I decided to apply anyway.  A few days after applying I received an email asking to accept a job interview; I couldn't have been more excited and nervous.  Right away I started doing research on the school itself and what requirements the position would require.

Interview day arrived and the nervousness intensified.  I still remember the first question that was asked of me, "Are you comfortable changing diapers?"  Well of course I am, ha ha.  The rest of the interview went smooth after the ice breaker question.  I remember leaving the interview room with anticipation of wanting to know the result, did I get the job or do I continue to look?

A week later I received an email stating the position had been filled, and I almost broke down crying...didn't the interview go well?  Am I not qualified?  How am I suppose to find a job in the school district during the middle of the school year?...  A few short minutes after receiving that email my cell phone rang, the caller ID stating the school district's name.  The little hope I had for getting this job started to come back.  The phone call was one of the HR women from the district offering me a part-time position for the one I applied for (the original application was for a full-time position).  I accepted the position and wrote down everything I would need to complete before the start date.

God was so good to Michael and I by allowing me to get a job in the education field right after college.  This job may not be my "dream" job, but it has been such a pleasure to get out of my comfort zone, learn about preschool and how to work this specific position, and expand my skills as an educator.

If you're wondering what a program assistant is and what exactly they do, it's essentially a teacher's assistant with a little heavier work load.  I didn't realize how much documentation went into a position like this, but it isn't a bad thing at all...I actually really enjoy documenting and observing for specific things that go on in the classroom.  Along with documenting, I get to help decorate the bulletin board, clean the classroom, take care of the kids, and help out with classroom management.

The mornings are early and the days fly by as I get to work alongside an amazing preschool teacher and another nice program assistant.  The kids in our class are so wonderful and their smiles make me want to wake up every morning eager to go to work!

1 comment:

  1. SO glad you are liking your new job! It sounds great for you!

    ReplyDelete