Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Early Days of a Percussion Instructor

This is my second year as a percussion instructor, and it has been a great learning experience.  A few years ago I was contacted by one of the local band directors and was asked if I would be able to work with the percussion section the following fall during marching band season.  I had never done anything like he was asking, other then helping out with my alum high school's drum line the summer after graduation.  I said I'd give it a try and eagerly began thinking of how I could lead a section, helping them improve their musicianship skills and character.  It was the end of July before I knew it and band camp had arrived!  There I was, standing in front of a new section, alongside another instructor that taught that year... New faces and names to learn, personalities to understand, and music to teach.

That was the first year of the McCracken County High School's Marching Mustang Band.  McCracken county was in a new stage, building a new high school that would combine three of the local high schools into one united student body.  The new high school was not quite finished, but the marching bands had decided to combine a year early, creating a family before the house was built.  We all met at one of the schools on a consistent basis every week, practicing and preparing for football games, parades, and competitions.  Even though the three schools were so-called "rival" schools, I was very surprised to see how well the students got along with each other.  By November I couldn't even tell what schools the students were from, it was like they were already from McCracken County High School.

The new school building opened up this August and is now filled with students from across the county, united as one.  The marching band is now in it's second year as the Marching Mustangs, and the musicianship continues to improve with every week that passes by.  I'm very blessed to teach alongside some of the finest educators I know, and to lead a group of students who love what they do!
(Aspen and me at the first competition of the year)
(My attempt at a panoramic shot of the battery; there are 6 basses, 5 snares, and 2 tenors)
(The snare line)



This group has a lot of potential and I'm eager to see where their band director leads them; they're going to go far!

No comments:

Post a Comment