Sunday, January 5, 2014

The Beatitudes...What to do?

The fire for Christ has certainly started to burn in my life again!  As stated in the previous post, I didn't do so well in my walk of faith last semester due to numerous situations; and I'm making it a top priority to put God first and foremost this year and years to come.  I've started a new devotional called Coffee With God by Sarah Arthur, and have also started a one year plan of reading the whole Bible, which is in the back of my Bible.

During my quiet time earlier, I was reading about the Beatitudes.  The Beatitudes, what exactly are they?  They are the principles and standards by which God expects all Christians to live by.  I've read and heard about the beatitudes quite a bit throughout the years I've attended church, but never took the time to break each one down and study a little of each.

One of them really stuck out to me, and that was Matthew 5:6;

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

Many Christians typically go through their day-to-day lives without giving a second thought to what it means to be "filled with Christ".  The Holy Spirit fills you when you except Jesus as your Lord, but then what?  We sometimes, more than often find ourselves feeling empty.  It's during these empty situations that most people try to find happiness in earthly things such as entertainment, money, relationships, and more.  It's up to us to continue filling that empty gap in our lives...the gap that can only be filled by Jesus.

That's where this beatitude comes into effect.  "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness..."  We should continuously be hungry and thirsty for Christ; in other words, we need to have a longing for righteousness, and chase that longing with perseverance.  Jesus clearly states in this verse that those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled!  Simple as day, we can fill that "emptiness" with so much more than "earthly happiness" if we earnestly seek out Christ in our daily lives; by doing this we will be filled with God's love, peace, mercy, and all things Holy.

I hope this verse brings as much joy to you as it does me!  I pray that this year also brings each and everyone of you blessings and happiness!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are doing better in your walk with God this semester! I am having a hard time in my walk with God since I've moved back home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always here for you Bailey! :) If it makes your week any better, you should be receiving a letter from me in the mail.

      Delete